Newton Abbot Swimming and Water Polo Club is a successful club with swimmers ranging from Stage 1 of the Swim England Learn to Swim framework progressing through to County, Regional and occasional National competitors. Our thriving water polo section has teams of all ages competing in Local, County, Regional and National competitions.
We are seeking a dedicated Head Coach, who seeks to uphold the ambitions of the club and its swimmers, to lead our coaching programme. This is an opportunity for a new Head Coach to build on our current achievements and guide the future direction of the Club.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a high level of passion for the sport. With the support of our team of volunteer Level 1 and 2 coaches and teachers, the new Head Coach will deliver a programme that enables our 200 Learner and 100 plus competitive swimmers to achieve their full potential.
The successful candidate will have a high level of technical understanding, with progressive ideas, and excellent interpersonal skills – enabling them to work successfully with swimmers, coaches, teachers, committee and other club members.
Candidates must hold a minimum of a Swim England Level 2 Coaching qualification; however Level 3 is highly desirable. A land training qualification is also desirable.
Newton Abbot is a SwimMark club and is committed to safeguarding all our members. The successful candidate will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check and must have an up to date safeguarding qualification or a willingness to train prior to commencement.
The Club trains in the 6 lane, 25M pool at Newton Abbot Leisure Centre and can access long course training at Plymouth Life Centre.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Plan, develop and implement a successful development strategy,
- Report the progress of the development programme to the Club Committee,
- Create an individual and club winning culture, ethos and environment – by creating good team morale,
- Communicate and implement appropriate swimmer selection standards, to ensure fair and transparent selection of swimmers across the swimming squads,
- Active involvement across all swimming squads and supervise coaching activity where necessary,
- Liaise with teachers of Learn to swim programme, review teaching sessions to ensure appropriate standards are met,
- Forward planning of the annual competition programme,
- Protect the wellbeing and fair treatment of all swimmers within the club,
- Lead a culture of success by empowering, developing and managing the volunteer coaching team,
- Undertake all necessary administration to ensure all training is planned, monitored and evaluated,
- Follow Health and Safety procedures and the Swim England WavePower guide.
The position is part time, on a self-employed basis, remuneration dependant on qualifications and experience
Regular squad coaching hours 10.5 per week dependant on future changes due to Covid 19